THE AMERICA THAT ONCE WAS... AND COULD BE AGAIN
By: Tom Rose
"My people hath been lost sheep: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, . . ." – Jeremiah 50:6
Some 230 years have passed since that spring day (April 19) in 1775 when the "shot that was heard around the world" rang out in what is now Lexington, Massachusetts. British forces from Boston had made an armed raid to commandeer the powder and musket balls stored in Lexington. Eight Minutemen were killed by the British. On the next day the British were turned back at Concord where arms and ammunition were also stored. Colonial patriots swarmed in from all directions. The British troops fled back to Boston with casualties of 273 versus 95 casualties for the American patriots.* So, in reality, the Revolutionary War began not over taxation, as modern history books erroneously purport, but over the burning issue of the individual right of Americans to own and bear arms! (*Note: In 1775 British troops tried to impose military rule in America; they called us "revolutionaries." Since March 2003, American troops have been imposing military rule in Afghanistan and Iraq; we call the freedom fighters in those countries "terrorists" and "insurgents.")
It would be good for Americans today to remember that people are helpless to resist tyranny if citizens don’t have ready access to guns and the ammunition necessary to make their firearms effective! Our Revolutionary forefathers were able to successfully resist the tyranny of well-armed British troops because they knew in their hearts the importance of a well-armed populace in preserving liberty. And this requires individual ownership of the latest types of firearm technology – Kentucky long rifles in1775, and semi-automatic rifles and machine guns in 2005!
Today, law-abiding Americans are faced with even more brutal and lawless "SWAT Team" raids by the BATF, the FBI, Federal Marshals, and other armed federal agents even while their government in Washington, D.C., is conspiring domestically and internationally to disarm our once-free and well-armed citizenry. Within the last few years the British, Canadian, and Australian people have been effectively disarmed with the result that violent crime and robbery have skyrocketed. Believe it or not, one of the fastest "growth industries" in Britain in recent years is the construction of so-called "safe rooms" in private residences to which cowed British citizens can flee to lock themselves in while illegally armed thugs have complete freedom to plunder and pillage private residences without fear of being stopped. Oh, for a sawed-off shotgun in each home to stop such idiocy! Let the British experience serve as a warning to Americans who still love liberty and want to pass the blessings of liberty on to their posterity!
As I write these words, the Fourth of July which commemorates the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776 is almost upon us. What a wonderful past glory! Yet, in one respect, what a sad and bitter remembrance! For, if our forefathers could see today how complacent Americans have unthinkingly and willingly surrendered basic liberties in exchange for – government lies to "protect" them from "terrorism" and for a mess of socialist pottage administered by numerous tyrannical federal agencies – they would turn over in their graves wondering if their efforts had been in vain!
You might ask, "But aren’t we in real danger of terrorist acts by Islamic fanatics who hate America because of the liberty we enjoy?" You might also ask, "Why are such federal agencies tyrannical?"
The first answer is, "NO, the American people have never been in danger of Islamic terrorists (if there be such a thing). The tragic deaths of almost 3,000 people on September 11, 2001, was an inside job that was designed some years ago. So-called Islamic terrorists did not have the technological "know how" to pull off such a disaster! The objective of 9/11 was to frighten the American public into supporting a long-held plan designed by the vicious cabal who control the White House puppet (George W. Bush). It is nothing less than a long-continued vendetta against certain Mideast nations (Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and Iran) whom the nation of Israel considers potential threats to their desire to reign supreme in the Mideast. Also involved are the long-range plans of the Neocon leadership in Washington, D.C., to control the rich oil and gas supplies around the Caspian Sea, coupled with the long-held Neocon goal of establishing a "New World Order" that will enslave the American populace, who don’t have the slightest idea of what is being done to them.
The second answer is that such militant agencies as mentioned above combine the once-carefully-divided governmental branches of the Legislative, the Executive, and the Judicial branches of civil government into one centralized, monolithic, and unconstitutional power that lawlessly legislates so-called "laws," then dictatorially administers such "law," and then deceptively judges such "law," thereby leaving wronged citizens with no effective legal recourse to redress their grievances. In short, our great and noble nation – once the home of the free and the brave – has unknowingly succumbed to the false siren of national socialism (fascism) which Franklin D. Roosevelt and his communist-infested administration left us as his notorious legacy!
A Prayer Request
Five years ago (2000) on a Sunday morning, when the elder who led worship services at my church asked for prayer requests, I rose to my feet and voiced this not-too-well-received prayer request:
I’m sad of heart today as I think about the Fourth of July. Why? Because we Americans are well on the way to losing the freedom that our forefathers fought so hard to win!
Today Americans are experiencing a loss of freedom similar to the loss suffered by the German people in the early 1930s when Hitler arrogated unconstitutional powers to himself to establish his dictatorial Nazi regime. We likewise are rapidly losing our freedom! Our government lies to us! And we are attacked by vicious government SWAT teams (BATF, FBI, FDA, and other gun-toting agents who are nothing more than killers for hire)! (Note: In 2005 we have to add the unconstitutional "Homeland Security" agency to the list of armed thugs who infest our airports and other public and private places.)
Let us pray for our country! Let us pray that church elders and pastors of every denomination will stir up and awaken Americans today about what is happening! Let them preach freedom to the people like the pre-Revolutionary preachers taught our forefathers in their sermons about God-given liberty, and how to resist tyrannical civil rulers!
Then, during the church service, a visiting pastor in his sermon touched on the alleged "fact" that America has never been a truly Christian nation. He brought up the "old saw" that some of our founders were influenced by the Enlightenment movement in Europe, and he mentioned the pamphleteer Thomas Paine, who was an atheist. Some of what he said was true, but a partial truth can be misleading to those who don’t know American history. The pastor conveniently failed to mention the Colonial Charters which specifically mentioned Christ. Nor did he mention:
– the many references to the God of the Bible in the early constitutions of our states.
– the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in the Trinity Church case of 1892, which gives a detailed history of the solid Christian influence in our American Republic.
– Alexis de Toqueville’s Democracy in America, published in the 1830s, which details the influence of biblical Christianity in America.
– James Bryce, British Ambassador to America for many years, who also detailed the Christian nature of America in his The American Commonwealth, published in 1899.
– M.E. Bradford’s A Worthy Company, published in 1982, tells about the Christian influence brought to bear by the founders of our American Republic.
My warning and prayer request, of course, was not well received. Why? Because a sedated populace never realizes that freedom has been lost until it is too late. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe spoke truly when he warned, "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free!"
Our tax-supported schools, America’s most ubiquitous and tragic experiment in socialism, eagerly condition each new generation to willingly embrace the false idea that America is a "democracy." Our forefathers HATED democracy! They LOVED republican civil government with its careful division of Legislative, Executive, and Judicial departments which were established in a tried-and-proven system of law known as THE COMMON LAW. But, today, we have in its place a massive, contradictory and hard-to-understand Uniform Commercial Code that was insidiously foisted on Americans during the Roosevelt Administration (1938). Over the years the U.C.C. has effectively replaced the Constitution of 1787 and the Common Law upon which the Constitution is based.
Miss Liberty is sick and ailing, almost dead, in our country today. But all is not lost! Not by a long shot! That wonderful patriot of the Revolutionary era, Samuel Adams, left us with these encouraging words: "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority to set brush fires in peoples’ minds."
How true! My reading of American history tells me that only three-percent of the American colonists led the fight against tyrannical government during the Revolutionary period. Our political rulers today are much more tyrannical than King George III and Parliament were in the late 1700s. Perhaps today more than three-percent of the people will rally against the tyrannical regime in Washington, D.C.! I’m thrilled to be in touch with many liberty-minded patriots throughout these United States of America as well as in other countries too. So, it should be easier today than it was back in1775-1776 to stir up Sam Adams’ "irate tireless minority" of true patriots into meaningful action!
Steps to Renewal
What should we do? First, we need to consider this fundamental question: "What is the proper role of civil government in society?" This is the crucial question that Americans have failed to ask during this age of relentless government intervention into every aspect of our public and private lives. Without asking proper questions, we can never hope to find lasting solutions to our problems. The answer, as I have for so many years taught my students, is simple and straight forward:
The proper role of civil government in society is simply to maintain law and order so as to maximize man’s individual self-responsibility before God! To do this the civil authority must be carefully limited to a defensive role in society in order to protect each individual’s God-given right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness! In short, the biblical goal of civil government is to maximize each person’s individual freedom before God!
The U.S. Supreme Court (American Communications Assn. v. Douds, 339 U.S. 382, 442) came close to voicing the above concept in its ruling:
It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error, it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error.
In short, those wise justices said, in effect, that the people should be free, and the power of political rulers should be very limited! But today the U.S. Supreme Court has just come up with the infamous and blatantly unconstitutional ruling that local civil governments can use the power of "eminent domain" to rob citizens of their homes, farms, and businesses (Kelo v. City of New London). When citizens lose their right to own property they are nothing but slaves to be manipulated and controlled by scheming bureaucrats! With the above truths in mind, what can we do to restore liberty in our now-sick Republic?
– In general, we should systematically dismantle all of the unconstitutional socialist/fascist legislation, unconstitutional court rulings, and government agencies – from the Roosevelt Administration beginning in 1933 to the George W. Bush Administration in 2005 – that invade our right to life, our right to live our lives as we choose, and our right to pursue our happiness and personal welfare as we desire, as long as we do not invade the similar right of other individuals in society.
There is no grosser denial of our right to life than the abortion (murder) of unborn infants, especially the viciously brutal practice of "partial birth abortion," which was approved by the U.S. Supreme Court in Stenberg vs. Carhart. God cannot fail to judge a nation that legally condones and encourages such a barbaric practice.
– The IRS should be abolished immediately! The Sixteenth Amendment was properly ratified by only 4 States. It needed to be ratified by 36 States, but was falsely declared to be properly ratified in 1913. This fact has been called to the attention of the U.S. Supreme Court, but the Court declared it to be a legislative matter to be handled by the Congress. But the U.S. Congress, in turn, holds that it is a judicial matter to be handled by the Court!
We should NOT replace the viciously invasive income tax with either a flat tax or a national sales tax (value-added tax). Doing so would only prolong the ability of our central government to extort tax monies from citizens and thus to continue the massive "tax and spend" policies followed by every presidential administration from Woodrow Wilson to the present.
We must return to the much better taxing policy of the Articles of Confederation which required the central government to come "hat in hand" and ask for operating funds from the States. Had this policy of "requisitions" been in effect during the last 100 years, we could have avoided getting entangled in expensive, freedom-robbing foreign wars (Wilson’s WW I, Roosevelt’s WW II, Truman’s Korean War, Johnson’s Vietnam War, George H. W. Bush’s Desert Storm War, Clinton’s War in Kosovo, and George W. Bush’s wars against Afghanistan, Iraq, and already-planned wars against Syria and Iran!) The result of each war has been to enrich certain special interest groups, to run up our national debt, to enslave American citizens, and to sacrifice the lives of their children for the lies and unconstitutional goals set up by our untrustworthy political leaders.
– True patriotism is not achieved by blindly following political leaders, but rather by insisting that our political leasers faithfully adhere to the U.S. Constitution and its limitation of powers! Our goal as patriotic citizens should be to emasculate our central government of its unlimited taxing power which has been used to establish a massive unitary state domestically and to foster the establishment of a socialist/fascist one-world government internationally through the United Nations, most of whose members have not the slightest concept of biblical freedom and man’s personal responsibility before God.
– Tax-supported education is one of America’s most vicious tyrannies. The education of children is a parental responsibility which cannot safely be entrusted to any level of civil government. It, more than any other social institution, has served to dumb down our populace and to condition young hearts and minds to unquestionably accept government socialism/fascism. Freedom CANNOT be restored in America if this noxious system of plunder is continued. With each passing year of college teaching I marveled, in a negative way, how each new influx of freshmen had less knowledge of basic English grammar and less understanding of and appreciation for historic American freedom. The grand exceptions were the relatively few students who were home schooled or schooled in the few Christian institutions that still held true to their calling! Parents once again must be put in economic control of the funds they need to educate their own children. Private, biblically based education can yet be the salvation of America as a nation!
– The Federal Reserve System must be quickly eliminated before it can do more harm, like the crashes of 1929, 1973-74, 1987, and the current credit bubbles which it has fostered both domestically and worldwide, and which are ready to burst at any time. Its unlimited money-creating power, coupled with the rapacious ability of the IRS to extort money from citizens, is what has funded the mushrooming growth of the centralized government bureaucracy in Washington, D.C., and our reckless and headlong rush into transforming America from a peace-loving free Republic into an imperialistic bully that imposes its hegemony on other nations.
– We should restore a gold- and silver-based currency to the people. It is their only protection against inflationary-prone civil rulers who stand ready to seduce citizens into credit-based slavery. Political and economic power is always wielded by those who own the gold and silver in a country. Thus, it is much safer to have the ownership of gold and silver widely dispersed among the populace than to have it concentrated in a nation’s central bank or treasury. Some 6,000 years of history clearly teach that civil rulers CANNOT BE TRUSTED when it comes to money or credit, both of which allow rulers to become involved in foreign intrigues and foreign wars. America grew and expanded wonderfully during the period that private mints operated widely in our country.
– We must emasculate the Supreme Court judges of their alleged power to rule our country through the unconstitutional practice of "judicial legislation." The right of unquestioned ownership of property must be returned to citizens. Kelo v. City of New London might well serve as a needed matchstick to light the fire of opposition.
– Instead of systematically arming the UN and disarming American citizens (as is the published plan of the federal government according to the 1961 U.S. State Department Document 7277), we should withdraw from the UN and give it a quick burial. Likewise, we should DISARM the BATF, the FBI, the DEA, the IRS (imagine gun-toting tax collectors!), and other federal agencies that have armed agents (the FDA, for instance, which has made armed raids on "alternative doctors" offices and health food stores), and "Homeland Security."
Civil rulers can always hire thugs the way Hitler and Stalin did to do their bidding under the guise of "promoting peace," "protecting the children!, or "protecting us from terrorists!"
– We need to encourage a widespread movement of privately owned arms and ammunition to be stored in millions of private homes, as they do in Switzerland. If we do this, peace and the right to "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness" will reign in our country, and Americans will no longer have to fear being attacked by masked government thugs in "Swat Teams!"
– Last, and most important of all, let every American pray to our Father in heaven to unseat the ungodly individuals who occupy positions of influence and power in our governmental structure, especially at the federal level, but also at the State and local levels, and to replace them with godly leaders of His choice. Thus, peace and prosperity in our beloved American Republic will be restored! Join with me in this prayer and work towards it!
"Published originally at EtherZone.com : republication allowed with this notice and hyperlink intact."
Tom Rose is retired professor of Economics at Grove City College, PA. He is author of eight books and hundreds of articles on free-market economics. He is a regular columnist for Ether Zone.
We invite you to visit his website at: www.biblicaleconomics.com.
Published in the July 1, 2005 issue of Ether Zone. Copyright © 1997 - 2005 Ether Zone